Thursday, March 7, 2013

BIRDS OF BAGDOGRA

(This is an older post which I have moved from another blog of mine...hope you like reading it)


Bagdogra is popularly known as 'Gateway to the East'. This place is supposedly a central point to go to various tourist places like Darjeeling, Mirik, Gangtok, Kalimpong and many more.

We haven't explored these places as yet, but Bagdogra by itself is turning out to be a paradise - a paradise of feathered beauties. Yes, the birds I have seen here are amazing. Haven't really been a bird-watcher till now, but I am really turning out to be one!

Couple of months back when we moved here(yes, bag and baggage and trunks!), I thought the trees here looked different. They are huge, tall and kind of mossy(it was raining during the first month of our arrival). Soon, I noticed these tall trees attracted quite a few birds.

Hornbill
Photo by Rhea Purvi
One day, from far I saw a black vase placed on a compound wall surrounding a park.I thought I hadn't seen it before and wondered who the crazy person was who had placed it there! Then, as I walked closer, I realized that the vase had wings! Yes, the big vase flew showcasing its beautiful black and white feathers, as I stood gaping at it. As I knew he hadn't gone far, I walked along with my daughter to the place where we might find him. Stealthily we moved, both on tip toes, whispering excitedly and desperately hoping to find him. Then we saw them! Not one, but two great birds sitting on a plank under a low roof. They both eyed us as we eyed them. That's when I noticed how big they were. Black and white coloured with huge yellow beaks, they looked awesome. Those few seconds they looked at us will remain in my memory forever. Since then I have started walking with my eyes mostly looking up searching and longing for a sight among the trees or in the sky!

Later, googling, we found out that they could be either Malabar Pied Hornbills or the Oriental Pied Hornbills- still haven't figured out the right name.

Apart from these huge ones visiting now and then, there are plenty more beauties to write about. One at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment